- Students in 4th through 8th grade in the La Mesa-Spring Valley school district are invited to audition.
- Each show involves a different number of actors, but there are generally three or four times as many students who audition than will become cast members.
- Directing and Production teams are made up of experienced volunteers, led by Dr. Mark Arapostathis
- Announcements - Each summer, usually the end of June, PPJT announces the dates and requirements for auditions on their website.
- Auditions - Generally occur in mid August.
- Rehearsals - Generally begin after the mid-October break
- Performance Week - Depends on theater availability, but usually in March or April
Auditions begin with solo vocal peformances of show tunes chosen and memorized by the actors. Those called back for the second stage of auditions must learn and perform a group song, dance steps and dialogue.
Students who make it into the cast and their families should be prepared for a fun, exciting, and challenging experience, including:
- Full costuming (character shoes usually obtained by the actors)
- Professional-quality sets
- Acting, Choreography and Voice coaching in a group setting
- Expectation of memorizing and practicing at home
- Punctuality, consistency, and high standards of personal conduct
- Fundraising activities with minimum goals
- Rehearsals scheduled weeknights on Mon. Wed. Fri. (typically 4:00-6:00pm) and Saturday mornings (8:00-11:00am)
- Parent/guardian volunteer responsibilities throughout rehearsal phase
- Parent/guardian volunteer responsibilities during performance week